Thursday, April 01, 2010

Candle Evolution


I started with beading. Learning the basics from my sisters. I moved into beading jewelry with gemstones. I found that I preferred working with natural earthly substances. My jewelry became more about the stones and their therapeutic properties than about the jewelry itself. After falling in love with Aveda body oils and generating an expensive habit, I decided to blend my own and infuse the oils with gemstones. My first blend was simple. I called it "Aura Oil" and it had lavender and Tibetian crystal quartz. I loved the energetic component and my skin has never felt softer. I also enjoy creating beautiful labels for the oils.

 The next progression was therapeutic candles, made with essential oils and gemstones, just like my body oils.  I made them with soy wax which is cleaner and longer burning than paraffin and has a delightfully creamy texture. I use simple mason jars and have included a special box of matches with every candle. The match boxes and mason jar lids have been my canvases for creative expression. I paint them and include a picture and inspiring words.  My friend Jill has allowed me to use her original paintings as graphics for my labels. It makes for a beautiful finished candle.



I will be adding these to my website, www.shelleysbellys.com very soon. They will be $24.

The second picture shows a grouping of stones that went into a very special candle. From top going clockwise, carved carnelian elephant, crystal quartz, black tourmaline, kyanite, ruby,
aquamarine and apatite. Yum!

No comments: